Downgrading to older iOS versions is something that seems like a distant dreams for those who care about it. Those who don’t understand the need to downgrade will obviously doubt the need to go back to an older iOS version that has got lesser features. Only those who love jailbreaking their iOS devices will understand what it really means to have a downgrade method for reverting back to an older firmware. If you know what we are talking about, then you probably already know about TinyUmbrella.
Image : Using Tinyumbrella on Mac and PC
This small yet highly powerful tool had gained popularity before iOS 6 came out. TinyUmbrella helped users save SHSH blobs and thus helped them to downgrade their iOS versions for the matter of jailbreaking. However, when Apple closed this loophole in 2011, TinyUmbrella became more of a bystander tool.
But the iOS jailbreak community is unpredictable and full of surprises, and experts say that a downgrade method will be available soon. Semophore, the developer of TinyUmbrella himself, indicates that SHSH blobs will soon be useful again and users will soon be able to revert back to an older jailbreakable iOS version. So in case you want to reap all those benefits, you must install TinyUmbrella right now and save your SHSH blobs using the below-given guide.
Steps to Save SHSH Blobs with TinyUmbrella :
- Go to this link and Download TinyUmbrella for Mac or Windows PC.
- In case you haven’t installed Java on your computer, get it from here [ext link] as TinyUmbrella requires Java to run.
- Now open TinyUmbrella.
- Plug in your iOS device to your computer and TinyUmbrella will detect your device.
- After your device has been recognized by TinyUmbrella, all the SHSH blobs available in your device will automatically be downloaded by the tool and saved automatically.
Things to Remember :
- The tool will download the SHSH blobs only for the firmware that is still being signed by Apple. For example, if you’re on iOS 9.0.2 and Apple has stopped signing it, TinyUmbrella will not download blobs for that version.
- All the blobs get saved in one single file at ~/.tu/.shsh.
- SHSH blobs are of three different types – Erase (Restore), OTA, and Update (Restore).
- TinyUmbrella saves a record of all the known devices in the folder ~/.tu/.known_devices.
Please remember that you will be able to downgrade using the blobs only when a downgrade method is available, which is not the case currently. But make sure that you keep backing up your blobs as the future might see a downgrade method soon.